Each week, you may find information here about the music in the traditional worship services at First United Methodist Church in Lewisville, Texas. Some of this information is original; most of it is copied from other websites such as Wikipedia, GBOD, and hymnary.org. It is my hope that this information will enhance your understanding and enrich your worship experience.
About the Vocal Solo Music:
Orphans of God - Joel Lindsey & Twila LaBar
(c.2006 Bridge Building Music, admin by Brentwood-Benson Music Publishing)
Joel Lindsey is one of the most celebrated and award-winning writers in the genres of Contemporary Christian music and Southern Gospel. He has penned over 800 songs for a “who’s who” list in both genres. Over the years he has earned a staggering twenty No. 1 songs on Christian radio. His songs have been recorded by mainstream artists like Chris Mann, Clay Aiken, and The Backstreet Boys.
Twila LaBar is an award-winning songwriter with songs recorded by Avalon, (Orphans of God), Point of Grace, Jeff and Sheri Easter with Vince Gill, Dottie Peoples, Karen Peck and New River, and more. Twila's extensive background in songwriting and music production made transitioning into filmmaking a natural next step. Twila made her narrative film directorial debut in the independent feature film "Blanche." Twila received "Best First Time Filmmaker" and "Best Woman Filmmaker" awards in the Royal Wolf Film Awards. Twila is also the recipient of the Hollywood Gold Awards Silver Award for Best Original Song for "The Miles Don't Even Matter." In 2020 and 2021 “Blanche”received 16 film festival awards. In addition to directing Blanche, Twila composed background music for the film and wrote and recorded two songs for the “Blanche” soundtrack, "Saddle Up" and "The Miles Don't Even Matter." Country artist Jordan Kirkdorffer, a contestant on The Voice 2018, is featured on "The Miles Don't Even Matter." “Blanche” is available on Amazon, iTunes, and Vimeo on Demand. Twila is currently in post-production on the documentary film "Where the Horses Heal the Soul."
“Orphans of God" is a song of hope by Joel Lindsey and Twila LaBar that was first performed by Avalon, a contemporary Christian music group. “Orphans of God” was recorded and released as a single by country artist Ty Herndon and singer and actress Kristin Chenoweth, going to #1 on the iTunes Christmas Songs chart.
Who here among us has not been broken?
Who here among us is without guilt or pain?
So often abandoned by out transgressions,
If such a thing as grace exists, then grace was made for lives like this.
There are no strangers, there are no outcasts,
there are no orphans of God.
So many fallen, but, hallelujah,
There are no orphans of God.
Come ye, unwanted, and find affection,
Come all ye weary, come and lay down your head.
Come, ye unworthy, we are a family.
If such a thing as grace exists, then grace was made for lives like this.
There are no strangers, there are no outcasts,
There are no orphans of God.
So many fallen, but, hallelujah,
There are no orphans of God.
O blessed Father, look down upon us,
We are Your children, we need Your love.
We bow before Your throne of mercy,
and seek your face to rise above.
There are no strangers, there are no outcasts,
There are no orphans of God.
So many fallen, but, hallelujah,
There are no orphans.
There are no strangers, there are no outcasts,
there are no orphans of God
So many fallen, but, hallelujah,
There are no orphans of God.
There are no orphans of God.
About the Hymns:
The Servant Song
(c.1977, Scripture in Song, div of Integrity Music)
Richard Gillard (b. 1953) was born in England and brought at age 3 to New Zealand, where he has lived since on the northern island. His faith background is a mixture of the Anglican Church on his mother’s side and the Pentecostal Church on his father’s side of the family. Australian hymnologist Wesley Milgate (1916-1999) spoke of Mr. Gillard’s musical background: “[He] has had little systematic musical training, but from the age of seven began the ukulele and other such instruments, often to accompany his own singing, learning by experiment and later with the help of his father and of Pentecostal church musicians. He usually invokes the aid of ‘the experts’ to set out his songs on paper.”
Attending a teacher’s training college, he worked until 1975 as a teacher in primary schools and then in a warehouse. A member with his wife for many years at St. Paul’s Anglican Church in central Auckland, they were inspired by an early folk-praise group called the Fisherfolk originally from Houston, Texas. Gillard solidified his compositional style by participating in the St. Paul’s Singers, a group of mostly young students. Taken with this style, the Gillards introduced many folksongs to New Zealand congregations. Mr. Gillard began writing his own songs in the late 1970s.
“The Servant Song” began in 1977 when Richard Gillard jotted down verse 3 on a piece of paper which, on returning from travels in Britain, Europe and Israel, he found in his guitar-case. The song was first recorded in New Zealand and has been sung around the world, appearing in many hymnals. Matthew 20:26b-28 provides the primary scriptural background for the song: “. . . Whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, and whoever wants to be first must be your slave—just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.” (NIV)
Brother, sister, let me serve you, let me be as Christ to you;
pray that I may have the grace to let you be my servant , too.
We are pilgrims on a journey; We’re together on this road.
We are here to help each other Walk the mile and bear the load.
I will hold the Christ-light for you In the nighttime of your fear;
I will hold my hand out to you, Speak the peace you long to hear.
I will weep when you are weeping; When you laugh, I’ll laugh with you.
I will share your joy and sorrow Till we’ve seen this journey through.
When we sing to God in heaven, We will find such harmony,
Born of all we’ve known together Of Christ’s love and agony.
Brother, sister, let me serve you, let me be as Christ to you;
pray that I may have the grace to let you be my servant , too.
About the Modern Band Music:
Gratitude - Benjamin Hastings, Brandon Lake, and Dante Bowe
(c.2019, Bethel Worship Publishing, admin. by Bethel Music Publishing; Maverick City Publishing, admin. by Heritage Worship Music Publishing
"Gratitude" is a song by Brandon Lake. The song was released on June 3, 2022, as the third single from his second studio album, House of Miracles (2020). Lake co-wrote the song with Benjamin Hastings and Dante Bowe. Brandon Lake shared in interview with Billboard that song came about during a trip to Australia to co-write with friends who were in Hillsong. During a writing session with Benjamin Hastings at his apartment overlooking the Sydney Opera House, Lake discussed with Hastings over how they had nothing to God that is impressive, and how humbling it was, thus inspiring the lyrics of the song.
The song "Gratitude" provides the singer with an opportunity for deep reflection on their genuine feelings of thankfulness. In the Christian journey, gratitude plays a crucial role preventing bitterness from taking root in our hearts towards the life we lead. Having a mindset of gratitude allows us to appreciate both the ordinary and extraordinary blessings bestowed upon us by God. This perspective transforms everything we receive into a perceived blessing.
All my words fall short, I got nothing new; How could I express, All my gratitude
I could sing these songs, As I often do, But every song must end, And You never do
So I throw up my hands And praise You again and again
‘Cause all that I have is a hallelujah, hallelujah
And I know it’s not much, But I’ve nothing else fit for a king
Except for a heart singing hallelujah, Hallelujah
I’ve got one response, I’ve got just one move
With my arms stretched wide, I will worship You
So I throw up my hands And praise You again and again
‘Cause all that I have is a hallelujah, hallelujah
And I know it’s not much But I’ve nothing else fit for a king
Except for a heart singing hallelujah, Hallelujah
Come on my soul, Oh don’t you get shy on me
Lift up your song, ‘Cause you’ve got a lion inside of those lungs
Get up and praise the Lord
Come on my soul, Oh don’t you get shy on me
Lift up your song, ‘Cause you’ve got a lion inside of those lungs
Get up and praise the Lord
So I throw up my hands And praise You again and again
‘Cause all that I have is a hallelujah, hallelujah
First United Methodist Church, Lewisville, Texas
A Community of Everyday People Learning to Love Like Jesus



No comments:
Post a Comment