Each week, you may find information here about the music in the traditional worship services at First United Methodist Church in Lewisville, Texas. Some of this information is original; most of it is copied from other websites such as Wikipedia, GBOD, and hymnary.org. It is my hope that this information will enhance your understanding and enrich your worship experience.
About the Choral Music:
Let Us Break Bread Together - John Ness Beck
(c.1972, Hope Publishing)
Some of the stanzas of this African American spiritual may date back to the eighteenth century. Other stanzas have been added by oral tradition. A look through modern hymnals will reveal an array of variations on the text. The most notable alteration in the Psalter Hymnal is the phrase "to the Lord of life" in place of the original "to the rising sun," in which "rising sun" was a metaphor referring to the Son rising. The song's use at communion services probably dates from after the American Civil War. Miles Mark Fisher notes in Negro Slave Songs in the United States (1953): [Originally the hymn] relates hardly at all to holy communion, which does not necessarily require early morning administration or a devotee who faces east. It was a signal song of Virginia slaves during the eighteenth century who used it and similar ones to convene their secret meetings.
The text describes participation in the Lord's Supper as a humble act in which we not only eat the bread and drink the wine, but also praise our God "on our knees." The refrain ends with a prayer for mercy, an African-American Kyrie that reminds us of the tax collector's prayer in Luke 18:13.
Let us break bread together on our knees, let us break bread together on our knees.
When I fall on my knees with my face to the rising sun, O Lord, have mercy on me.
Let us drink wine together on our knees, let us drink wine together on our knees.
When I fall on my knees with my face to the rising sun, O Lord, have mercy on me.
Let us praise God together on our knees, let us praise God together on our knees.
When I fall on my knees with my face to the rising sun, O Lord, have mercy on me.
O Lord, have mercy on me.
John Ness Beck (1930-1987) graduated from Ohio State with Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science degrees with a major in English. After working for a year in Student Union activities at the State College of Washington, he spent two years in the U.S. Army. During this time, he became increasingly involved in arranging for various musical groups. After his discharge from military service, he returned to Ohio State and completed Bachelor of Music and Master of Arts degrees in music with composition as his major. Beck was a faculty member of Ohio State University School of Music for seven years, teaching harmony and theory. He left the university to become owner and manager of The University Music House, a retail sheet music store in Columbus. In this capacity, he was able to observe the business side of the music industry, gaining insight into the complexities of music publishing and merchandising. As his compositions found their way into print and popularity, he joined forces in 1972 with John Tatgenhorst in the creation of Beckenhorst Press. His reputation as a composer and his experience as a choral director soon led to an increasing demand for appearances as guest conductor and lecturer at various musical clinics and festivals throughout the country.
About the Hymns:
The Gift of Love
(c.1972, Hope Publishing)
Among the most prominent New Testament texts is the discourse on love found in I Corinthians 13. Hal H. Hopson has paraphrased part of this beautiful text in what has become one of the most popular late 20th-century hymns, appearing in many major hymnals published in the U.S. since 1980. "The Gift of Love" first appeared as a very popular anthem in 1972. Both the text and the music are effective paraphrases -- the text of I Corinthians 13:1-3 and the melody as an adaptation of the beautiful folk melody "O Waly, Waly." The original tune was collected by American folksong specialist Cecil Sharp and published in his Folk Songs from Somerset (1906).
"The Gift of Love" is very flexible and, according to Hope Publishing Co., is Mr. Hopson's most popular composition -- widely used as an anthem, solo and as a hymn. Speaking of the popularity of his hymn, Hopson said: "The first 'Gift of Love' was a two-part choral arrangement. Years later, at the suggestion of George Shorney at Hope Publishing Company, I cast it in a form to be used as a congregational hymn. Since then it has become a standard hymn to be included in many hymnals. It is noteworthy that The United Methodist Hymnal, 1989, was the first hymnal that included 'The Gift of Love.' I was once surprised to be introduced at a seminar as the Gift-of-Love-Man."
Mr. Hopson (b. 1933) is a native of Mound, Texas, and now resides in Dallas. He has an international reputation as a clinician and composer, and has published more than 1,300 compositions, which comprise almost every musical form in church music. With a special interest in congregational song, he continues to make a significant contribution to the new repertoire of hymn tunes and responsorial psalm settings as evidenced by the proliferation of his settings that are included in newly published hymnals and psalm collections.
Though I may speak with bravest fire,
And have the gift to all inspire,
And have not love; my words are vain
As sounding brass and hopeless gain.
Though I may give all I possess,
And striving so my love profess,
But not be given by love within,
The profit soon turns strangely thin.
Come, Spirit come, our hearts control.
Our spirits long to be made whole.
Let inward love guide every deed.
By this we worship and are freed.
Amen.
About the Modern Band Music:
The Lord Is With Me - Chris Brown & Tyler Roberts
(c.2025, Elevation Worship Publishing, Upside Down Under, Be Essential Songs, Red Rocks Worship, All Essential Music, Songs of Red Rocks Worship Publishing, Red Rocks Worship.
Red Rocks Worship’s “The Lord Is With Me” holds special meaning for the group for a number of reasons. First, it features Elevation Worship’s Chris Brown, who helms lead vocals alongside Red Rocks Worship member Tyler Roberts. Second, it was recorded in the Denver-based collective’s backyard, which happens to house the iconic Red Rock Amphitheatre in Morrison, Colorado. Finally, the song was captured at the storied venue during a celebration that marked 20 years of ministry for their church family at Red Rocks Church.
“The Lord Is With Me” passionately affirms the promise that no matter what we face, God will always be with us. While the song references life’s inevitable hardship, it holds fast to the hope that our Heavenly Father will sustain us through His enduring presence. Referencing the three Hebrew boys who discovered God was with them in the fiery furnace, the convicting original serves up an anthem for fighting fear. Haunting strings and contrasting light accent the performance of the song, captured on a chilly night last November with a capacity crowd in attendance, who joins in the swelling chorus.
“The Lord Is With Me” was initially written as a companion resource for pastor Shawn Johnson’s book, “Kiss the Fire,” and swiftly evolved into a declaration for their congregation when Red Rocks Worship began leading it on Sunday mornings. “This song has been such an anthem for our church, and we are excited to now share it with the world! We can’t wait to hear the stories of how God uses this song to help His people,” Roberts says. “I am praying this song will be an anthem for those who are walking through some really hard stuff, that it will strengthen their faith and encourage their spirit to keep moving forward, knowing that they’re not alone; the Lord is with them.” “I had the best time recording ‘The Lord Is With Me’ with Tyler and the Red Rocks family at Red Rocks Amphitheatre,” Brown adds. “Gathering with their church in the beautiful Rockies, under an open heaven, was incredible. And what a song! It is packed with truth we all need as a reminder that, no matter what we’re facing, we’ve got a Helper. He’s with us. He’s for us at all times. I hope this song ministers to you.”
I've felt the flame and wrestled the dark But I never knew ’til I had the scars
How good Your grace could be, how You would be my strength
No matter what I have resolved On my lowest day You’re still in control
I will not be afraid, I’ll get back up and say
The Lord is with me, the Lord is with me
Ever present in my hour of need, the Lord is with me
You never said it wouldn’t be a fight You promised that You’d be right by my side
No matter how it seems, my confidence shall be
The Lord is with me, the Lord is with me
Ever present in my hour of need, the Lord is with me
Though fear may tell me to tremble, I’m not gonna bow
I may be thrown in the fire, but I’m gonna walk out
The heat of the flame won’t consume me, it’s nothing but smoke
It may look like I’m surrounded, but I’m not alone
Though fear may tell me to tremble, I’m not gonna bow
I may be thrown in the fire, but I’m gonna walk out
The heat of the flame won’t consume me, it’s nothing but smoke
It may look like I’m surrounded, but I’m not alone
The Lord is with me
The Lord is with me, the Lord is with me
Ever present in my hour of need
This Is Amazing Grace - Josh Farro, Jeremy Riddle, and Phil Wickham
(c. 2012, Bethel Music, Seems Like Music, Sing My Songs, Phil Wickham Music, and Warner Chappell Music)
Philip David Wickham (b.1984) is an American contemporary Christian singer-songwriter and musician from San Diego, California. He has released fourteen worship albums: Give You My World in 2003, a self-titled album in 2006, Cannons in 2007, Singalong in 2008, Heaven & Earth in 2009, Response in 2011, Singalong 2 in 2012, The Ascension in 2013, Singalong 3 in 2015, Children of God in 2016, Living Hope in 2018, Hymn of Heaven in 2021, I Believe in 2023, and Song of the Saints in 2025. He has also led worship at Soul Survivor. His single "This is Amazing Grace" has been certified Platinum by the RIAA and it topped the 2014 year-end Christian Airplay chart.
Phil Wickham said this about the song:
This song has actually been years in the making. I originally wrote it several years ago with a buddy of mine, Josh Farro, who was in the band Paramore at the time. He wanted to get together with me and write a worship song. He brought an idea, and I had an idea, and that became the bones for this song. We wrote the chorus, and had some verse ideas. Jeremy Riddle, who is one of the worship leaders at Bethel Church in California, asked if he could rewrite the verses. Jeremy wrote amazing lyrics about the greatness of the God who gave His life for us. We started singing it the way Bethel recorded the song, and there was more of brooding, moody, passionate vibe. We decided to make the song more of a celebration and a party.
The song is simply about the amazing grace and unfailing love that this God, this King of glory, this King above all Kings, has shown to us. The verses are all about His majesty and what He has done, how He spoke the world into existence, how He brings order to our chaos, how He has made orphans and sinners His sons and daughters! By taking our place on the Cross, He bore our sin and went to the grave so that we may be set free, so that we may be forgiven. It's an amazing thought, and the verses are saying look at this amazing God. He creates the stars, brings the chaos back into order. He shakes the whole earth with thunder. It's the story that God has written, and a story that He lets us be a part of. It's a song of celebration. Some songs have an adoration quality. Some songs are reminders. Some songs are about thankfulness. Some songs are prayers, or declarations.
Who breaks the power of sin and darkness
Whose love is mighty and so much stronger
The King of Glory the King above all kings
Who shakes the whole earth with holy thunder
And leaves us breathless in awe and wonder
The King of Glory the King above all kings
This is amazing grace This is unfailing love
That You would take my place That You would bear my cross
You laid down Your life That I would be set free
Oh Jesus I sing for all that You've done for me
Who brings our chaos back into order
Who makes the orphan a son and daughter
The King of Glory the King of Glory
Who rules the nations with truth and justice
Shines like the sun in all of its brilliance
The King of Glory the King above all kings
This is amazing grace This is unfailing love
That You would take my place That You would bear my cross
You laid down Your life That I would be set free
Oh Jesus I sing for all that You've done for me
Worthy is the Lamb who was slain
Worthy is the King who conquered the grave
Worthy is the Lamb who was slain
Worthy is the King who conquered the grave
Worthy is the Lamb who was slain
Worthy is the King who conquered the grave
Worthy is the Lamb who was slain Worthy worthy worthy
This is amazing grace This is unfailing love
That You would take my place That You would bear my cross
You laid down Your life That I would be set free
Oh Jesus I sing for all that You've done for me
First United Methodist Church, Lewisville, Texas
A Community of Everyday People Learning to Love Like Jesus



No comments:
Post a Comment