Monday, September 8, 2025

Sunday, September 14, 2025

Each week, you may find information here about the music in the traditional worship services at First United Methodist Church in Lewisville, Texas.  Some of this information is original; most of it is copied from other websites such as Wikipedia, GBOD, and hymnary.org.  It is my hope that this information will enhance your understanding and enrich your worship experience.   

About the Organ Music: 

Fanfare in C for Organ - Steven Blackmon

(c.1998, H.W.Gray Company, assign. Alfred Music)


A South Carolina native, Blackmon holds bachelors’ and masters’ degrees in organ performance from Winthrop University in Rock Hill, SC.  Steven is Director of Music/Organist at St. Charles Avenue Presbyterian Church in New Orleans. Steven has served as Subdean, Dean and and is currently Newsletter Editor/Webmaster and Subdean of the New Orleans Chapter of the American Guild of Organists. He has served as guest conductor for the New Orleans Symphony Chamber Orchestra, and as organ soloist for the Louisiana Philharmonic Orchestra.


About the Handbell Music:


I Need Thee Every Hour - Victor Gumma

(c.1992, National Music Publishers


Annie S. Hawks’ (1836-1918) poems first began appearing in newspapers when she was 14 years old. She married Charles H. Hawks in 1857. They lived in Brooklyn, New York, and attended the Hanson Place Baptist Church, where Robert Lowry was pastor. She wrote 400 hymns in her life, mostly for use in Sunday schools.

“I Need Thee Every Hour” was written by Hawks in 1872. She showed Lowry her poem, and he wrote the lyrics of the refrain and the tune NEED.  The song was first sung publicly at the 1872 meeting of the National Baptist Sunday School Association in Cincinnati, Ohio. Its first publication was in 1873 in a Sunday School hymnbook compiled by Lowry and William H. Doane, Royal Diadem for the Sunday School.

When this hymn was first published in 1873, this Bible verse was included underneath the title: “Without me ye can do nothing” (John 15:5 KJV). Each of the first four stanzas of this hymn dwells on a different facet of our dependence on God: our need for His peace, our inability to resist temptation alone, our need to find true meaning in life, and our desire to see God's promises fulfilled. The fifth stanza is an intense plea for God's presence.

I need Thee every hour, Most gracious Lord;

No tender voice like Thine Can peace afford.


I need Thee every hour, Stay Thou near by;

Temptations lose their power When Thou art nigh.


I need Thee every hour, In joy or pain;

Come quickly and abide, Or life is vain.


I need Thee every hour, Teach me Thy will;

And Thy rich promises In me fulfill.


I need Thee every hour, Most Holy One;

Oh, make me Thine indeed, Thou blessed Son.


I need Thee, oh, I need Thee; Every hour I need Thee;

Oh, bless me now, my Savior! I come to Thee.


Victor Gumma (1936-2015) was a Dallas resident who arranged many works for handbell choir, quartets, duets, and solos.  He received a Bachelor and Master of Music Education from the University of Denver.



About the Choral Music:


Be Not Afraid – Taylor Davis

(c. 2003, Choristers Guild)


Taylor Davis (b. 1980) is currently the Director of Music and Worship at Holy Covenant United Methodist Church in Houston, TX. A 2003 graduate of Centenary College of Louisiana, Taylor earned a Bachelor of Sacred Music degree while studying conducting with Dr. Julia Brasher Thorn, as well as intensive courses with Dr. Sandra Willets, Dr. Ann Howard Jones, Paul Oakley, Alice Parker and Jane Marshall. He has also studied composition with Dr. Eric McIntyre, Ms. Parker, and Ms. Marshall. In 2004 he became a Fellow of Melodious Accord. In demand across the country, with commissions coming from a wide variety of groups, his music has been performed throughout the US, Europe, South America and South Africa by youth and adults.

“Be Not Afraid” is based on Isaiah 43:1-7.

    Be not afraid, for I have redeemed you. 

Be not afraid, I’ve called you by name.

    My love for you is everlasting, my love for you shall have no end.


When you pass through the waters, I will surround you,

    When you pass through the floods, they will not sweep o’er.

    When you walk through the fire, you will not be consumed.

    You are my child, you are my child, you are so precious to me.


    Be not afraid, for I have redeemed you. 

Be not afraid, I’ve called you by name.

    My love for you is everlasting, my love for you shall have no end.


When you pass through the waters, I will surround you,

    When you pass through the floods, they will not sweep o’er.

    When you walk through the fire, you will not be consumed.

    You are my child, you are my child, you are so precious to me.


    You are my child, and I’ll love you always. 

Just hold my hand, and I’ll lead you home.

When you feel lost, always remember: I am right here, just call my name.


When you pass through the waters, I will surround you,

    When you pass through the floods, they will not sweep o’er.

    When you walk through the fire, you will not be consumed.

    You are my child, you are my child, you are so precious to me.



About the Hymns:


It is Well with My Soul


For more than a century, the tragic story of one man has given hope to countless thousands who have lifted their voices to sing, It Is Well With My Soul.  Horatio Spafford (1828-1888) was a wealthy Chicago lawyer with a thriving legal practice, a beautiful home, a wife, four daughters and a son. He was also a devout Christian and faithful student of the Scriptures. His circle of friends included Dwight L. Moody, Ira Sankey and various other well-known Christians of the day.

At the very height of his financial and professional success, Horatio and his wife Anna suffered the tragic loss of their young son. Shortly thereafter on October 8, 1871, the Great Chicago Fire destroyed almost every real estate investment that Spafford had.

In 1873, Spafford scheduled a boat trip to Europe in order to give his wife and daughters a much needed vacation and time to recover from the tragedy. He also went to join Moody and Sankey on an evangelistic campaign in England. Spafford sent his wife and daughters ahead of him while he remained in Chicago to take care of some unexpected last minute business. Several days later he received notice that his family's ship had encountered a collision. All four of his daughters drowned; only his wife had survived.

With a heavy heart, Spafford boarded a boat that would take him to his grieving Anna in England. It was on this trip that he penned those now famous words, When sorrow like sea billows roll; it is well, it is well with my soul..

Philip Bliss (1838-1876), composer of many songs including Hold the Fort, Let the Lower Lights be Burning, and Jesus Loves Even Me, was so impressed with Spafford's life and the words of his hymn that he composed VILLE DE HAVRE to accompany the lyrics. The song was published by Bliss and Sankey, in 1876.


Original lyrics:


When peace like a river, attendeth my way, 

When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to know 

It is well, it is well, with my soul.


Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
Let this blest assurance control,
That Christ has regarded my helpless estate,
And hath shed His own blood for my soul.


My sin, oh, the bliss of this glorious thought!
My sin, not in part but the whole,
Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more,
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!


For me, be it Christ, be it Christ hence to live:
If Jordan above me shall roll,
No pang shall be mine, for in death as in life,
Thou wilt whisper Thy peace to my soul.


But Lord, 'tis for Thee, for Thy coming we wait,
The sky, not the grave, is our goal;
Oh, trump of the angel! Oh, voice of the Lord!
Blessed hope, blessed rest of my soul.


    And Lord, haste the day when my faith shall be sight,
    The clouds be rolled back as a scroll;
    The trump shall resound, and the Lord shall descend,
    A song in the night, oh my soul!


Jesus, Lover of My Soul


“Jesus, lover of my soul” is perhaps one of the most personal hymns penned by Charles Wesley (1707-1788).  This hymn is considered to be among Wesley’s greatest hymns. It demonstrates, among many other things, Charles Wesley’s vast knowledge of Biblical texts, classic literature, and other intellectual sources of his era.  The apocryphal book, The Wisdom of Solomon, 11:23-26, provides the inspiration for this primary theme of this hymn: “But thou hast mercy upon all; for thou canst do all things, and winkest at the sins of men, because they should amend. For thou lovest all the things that are, and abhorrest nothing which thou hast made: for never wouldest thou have made any thing, if thou hadst hated it. And how could any thing have endured, if it had not been thy will? or been preserved, if not called by thee? But thou sparest all: for they are thine, O Lord, thou lover of souls.”


Another possible source is Thomas à Kempis (c. 1380-1471), who often commented on the nature of love. In The Imitation of Christ, for example, he states: “A wise lover values not so much the gift of the lover as the love of the giver.” Another quote also addresses Jesus’ followers as “lovers”: “Jesus has now many lovers of the heavenly kingdom but few bearers of His cross.” Perhaps even more to the point is this statement: “Most mighty God of Israel, zealous Lover of faithful souls.”


The hymn was written shortly after Wesley’s conversion” in 1738. English Methodist literary scholar Richard Watson notes, “From the moment of its wonderful opening, ‘Jesu, lover. . .', on which the intimacy of ‘Jesu’ plays such a crucial part, this hymn proclaims itself as a work of unusual intensity.” Examples of this language of intimacy include: “let me to thy bosom fly” and “Thou, O Christ, art all I want,/more than all in thee I find. . .”.  Wesley also draws from the Psalms:“safe unto the haven guide” (Psalm 107:30); “the shadow of thy wing” (Psalm 91:4); “Thou of life the fountain art. . .” (Psalm 36:9). He draws from English poet and diplomat Matthew Prior (1664-1721) with an image in the first stanza:


 We weave the Chaplet, and We crown the Bowl;

and smiling see the nearer waters roll;

'Till the strong Gusts of raging Passion rise;

'Till the dire Tempest mingles Earth and Skies; . . .


The hymn was first published in Hymns and Sacred Poems (1740) with five stanzas. An omitted stanza further adds to intensity of this hymn:


Wilt thou not regard my call? Wilt thou not accept my prayer?

Lo! I sing, I faint, I fall! Lo, on thee I cast my care!

Reach me out thy gracious hand! While I of thy strength receive,

hoping against hope I stand, Dying, and behold I live!


The whole point of the hymn is the tender and loving presence of the Saviour in a world where the sinner feels helpless; and Charles Wesley has not been afraid to give intense expression to that love, and to the life which it brings.

“Jesus, lover of my soul” foreshadows famous hymns on a related theme including “Rock of Ages” (1776) by English Anglican turned Calvinist Augustus M. Toplady, and “Abide with me” (1847) by Scottish Anglican Henry Francis Lyte. Like these hymns, “Jesus, lover of my soul” has attracted a number of stories. Some have tried to connect the sea images in the hymn to the tumultuous voyage of the Wesley brothers to America in 1736.  Rather than focusing on the circumstances surrounding the poem’s composition, there can be no doubt as to its influence and popularity on this side of the Atlantic Ocean. Henry Ward Beecher (1813-1877), the great American preacher, stated: “I would rather have written this hymn of Wesley’s than to have the fame of all the kings that ever sat on earth.”


"Aberystwyth" is a hymn tune composed by Joseph Parry, written in 1876 and first published in 1879 in Edward Stephen's Ail Lyfr Tonau ac Emynau (Welsh for Second Book of Tunes and Hymns).  Parry was at the time the first professor and head of the new department of music at the recently founded University College Wales, Aberystwyth, now called Aberystwyth University.  The tune "Aberystwyth" has been the most popular setting for Charles Wesley's hymn "Jesus, Lover of My Soul”.  


        Jesus, lover of my soul, let me to thy bosom fly, 

while the nearer waters roll, while the tempest still is high; 

hide me, O my Savior, hide, till the storm of life is past; 

safe into the haven guide, O receive my soul at last! 


Other refuge have I none; hangs my helpless soul on thee; 

leave, ah! leave me not alone, still support and comfort me. 

All my trust on thee is stayed, all my help from thee I bring; 

cover my defenseless head with the shadow of thy wing. 


Thou, O Christ, art all I want, more than all in thee I find;

raise the fallen, cheer the faints, heal the sick, and lead the blind.

Just and holy is thy name, I am all unrighteousness;

false and full of sin I am; thou art full of truth and grace.


Plenteous grace with thee is found, grace to cover all my sin; 

let the healing streams abound; make and keep me pure within. 

Thou of life the fountain art; freely let me take of thee; 

spring thou up within my heart, rise to all eternity.



Goodness of God - Jenn Johnson, Ed Cash, Jason Ingram, Ben Fielding, and Brian Johnson

(c.2018, Alletrop Music/Shout! Music Publishing Australia/Fellow Ships Music/So Essential Tunes/Bethel Music Publishing)


Jennifer "Jenn" Johnson (b.1982) is an American Christian worship singer, songwriter and worship pastor. She is a co-founding member of Bethel Music, and is one-half of the husband-and-wife worship duo Brian and Jenn Johnson. She is also a senior worship pastor at Bethel Church in Redding, California, and a Senior Overseer of WorshipU, an online school of worship sponsored by Bethel.


The story behind Bethel Music's "Goodness of God" centers on Jenn Johnson's personal experience of adopting her fourth child, Ryder Moses. 


Johnson related this story: “We had just gotten home from our adoption of our son, Ryder. He was a gift that we never saw coming. We have three kids already. We thought we were done having children.  Brian and I were always open to adoption. But, out of the blue, we just felt like the Lord say to us, 'I have this for you if you want this--like a gift. I have a present for you." We knew adoption was the Lord's plan for us; to have a baby again when you've been out of baby season for eight years was such a blessing. Darlene Zschech, who had been with us, told us the translation of the verse 'Here I am, send me' from Isaiah 6:8 says, 'my answer is yes before you even ask.' I was so struck with that phrase. When we had the chance to adopt, I felt myself saying yes before I was even asked. Within the next year, we were matched up. And, we brought our new son home to our family. During the adoption process, I found myself driving on a long country road. I was just singing to the Lord when I recorded a song on my phone about the "faithfulness" and "kindness of God." I wrote and sang most of "Goodness of God" as an overflow of my heart at that moment. That led to finishing and recording this song with Ed Cash, Jason Ingram, and Ben Fielding.”


This unplanned recording session became the foundation for the song, which expresses gratitude for God's unwavering presence and goodness through life's challenges and joys. 


I love You, Lord. For Your mercy never failed me.

All my days I've been held in Your hands.

From the moment that I wake up Until I lay my head,

Oh, I will sing Of the goodness of God.


And all my life You have been faithful;

And all my life You have been so, so good.

With every breath That I am able,

Oh, I will sing Of the goodness of God.


I love Your voice, You have led me through the fire.

And in darkest night You are close like no other.

I've known You as a Father; I’ve known You as a Friend.

And I have lived In the goodness of God, yeah.


'Cause Your goodness Is running after, It's running after me;

Your goodness is running after, It’s running after me.


With my life laid down, I’m surrendered now.

I give You everything, ’Cause Your goodness

Is running after, It’s running after me, oh.



Deep Peace – Benjamin Harlan 

(c.1998, Hal Leonard Corp.)


Dr. Benjamin Harlan has set this traditional Gaelic text.  Harlan is a Professor of Church Music at New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary. He is an internationally known arranger and composer of choral, keyboard and handbell works. He has received awards from ASCAP annually since 1990. Dr. Harlan is a member of ASCAP, American Choral Directors Association and the Southern Baptist Church Music Conference.

Deep peace of the running wave to you, Deep peace of the flowing air to you.

Deep peace, deep peace, deep peace of the Father’s love to you.





First United Methodist Church, Lewisville, Texas

A Community of Everyday People Learning to Love Like Jesus






No comments:

Post a Comment