Each week, you may find information here about the music in the traditional worship services at First United Methodist Church in Lewisville, Texas. Some of this information is original; most of it is copied from other websites such as Wikipedia, GBOD, and hymnary.org. It is my hope that this information will enhance your understanding and enrich your worship experience.
About the Hymns:
They'll Know We Are Christians By Our Love
(c.1966, F.E.L. Publications, assigned 1991 to the Lorenz Group)
Peter Scholtes (1938–2009) was born in Evanston, Illinois and grew up in Oak Park, where he attended Ascension School and Fenwick High School before studying at Quigley and St. Mary of the Lake-Mundelein seminaries. He earned his Masters in Adult Education and Organization Development at Boston University. After working in the public sector in Lynn, Massachusetts and Madison, Wisconsin, Peter became a consultant with Joiner Associates in the 1980s, traveling the globe to help businesses engage employees' talents more fully, humanely, and effectively. He co-authored The Team Handbook, which was named one of The 100 Best Business Books of All Time (in the book of that title). After starting Scholtes Seminars and Consulting, he wrote the classic The Leader's Handbook in 1998, which made the definitive case against performance appraisal—a practice he argued was demoralizing and wrong.
Scholtes wrote the text and tune of the hymn "They'll Know We Are Christians by Our Love" while he was a parish priest at St. Brendan's on the South Side of Chicago in the 1960s. At the time, he was leading a youth choir out of the church basement and was looking for an appropriate song for a series of ecumenical, interracial events. When he couldn't find such a song, he wrote the now-famous hymn in a single day. It is inspired by John 13:35. It was released on an LP of the same name featuring the congregation of Scholtes' church singing this hymn and others. His experiences at St. Brendan's, and in the Chicago Civil Rights movement, influenced him for the rest of his life.
We are one in the Spirit, we are one in the Lord.
We are one in the Spirit, we are one in the Lord,
and we pray that all unity may one day be restored.
We will walk with each other, will walk hand in hand,
We will walk with each other, will walk hand in hand,
And together we'll spread the news, that God is in our land
We will work with each other, we will work side by side,
We will work with each other, we will work side by side
And we'll save each man's dignity, and guard each man's pride.
All praise to the Father, from whom all things come,
And all praise to Christ Jesus, His only Son
And all praise to the Spirit, that makes us one.
And they’ll know we are Christians by our love, by our love.
Yes, they’ll know we are Christians by our love.
Trust in God - Brandon Lake, Chris Brown, Mitch Wong, and Steven Furtick.
(c.2023, © Essential Music Publishing, Integrity Music)
"Trust in God" is a song performed by American contemporary worship band Elevation Worship featuring Chris Brown. The song interpolates the lyrics of the hymn "Blessed Assurance." "Trust in God" peaked at No. 2 on the US Hot Christian Songs chart. On April 28, 2023, Elevation Worship announced that the album Can You Imagine? would be released on May 19, 2023, and released "Trust in God" as the second single from the album accompanied with its music video. Elevation Worship performed "Trust in God" live on the Fox & Friends All-American Summer Concert Series broadcast on July 14, 2023.
Blessed Assurance, Jesus is mine
He's been my fourth man in the fire, time after time
Born of His Spirit, washed in His blood
And what He did for me on Calvary is more than enough
I trust in God, my Savior
The one who will never fail
He will never fail
I trust in God, my Savior
The one who will never fail
He will never fail
Perfect submission, all is at rest
I know the author of tomorrow has ordered my steps
So this is my story and this is my song
I'm praising my risen King and Savior all the day long
I trust in God, my Savior
The one who will never fail
He will never fail
I trust in God, my Savior
The one who will never fail
He will never fail
He didn't fail you then
He won't fail you now
I sought the Lord and He heard and He answered
I sought the Lord and He heard and He answered
I sought the Lord and He heard and He answered
That's why I trust Him, that's why I trust Him
I sought the Lord and He heard and He answered
I sought the Lord and He heard and He answered
I sought the Lord and He heard and He answered
That's why I trust Him, that's why I trust Him
I sought the Lord and He heard and He answered
I sought the Lord and He heard and He answered
I sought the Lord and He heard and He answered
That's why I trust Him, that's why I trust Him
I sought the Lord and He heard and He answered
I sought the Lord and He heard and He answered
I sought the Lord and He heard and He answered
That's why I trust Him
That's why I trust in God, my Savior
The one who will never fail
He will never fail
Oh, I trust in God, my Savior
The one who will never fail
He will never fail
I sought the Lord
I sought the Lord and He heard and He answered
I sought the Lord (and He delivered me from all my fears)
I sought the Lord (from everything)
And He heard and He answered, oh
That's why I trust Him, that's why I trust Him
I sought the Lord and He heard and He answered
I sought the Lord and He heard and He answered
I sought the Lord and He heard and He answered
That's why I trust Him, that's why I trust in God
First United Methodist Church, Lewisville, Texas
A Community of Everyday People Learning to Love Like Jesus

No comments:
Post a Comment