Each week, you may find information here about the
organ music and hymns in the traditional worship services at First United
Methodist Church in Lewisville, Texas. Some of this information is
original; much of it is "borrowed" from other sources such as Wikipedia,
GBOD, and hymnary.org. It is my hope that this information will enhance
your understanding and enrich your worship experience.
About the Organ Music:
I
Wonder (as I Wander) – David Evan Thomas
"I Wonder as I
Wander" is a folk hymn written
by folklorist and singer John Jacob Niles. The hymn has
its origins in a song fragment collected by Niles on July 16, 1933. While in
the town of Murphy in Appalachian North
Carolina, Niles attended a fundraising meeting held by
evangelicals who had been ordered out of town by the police. In his unpublished
autobiography, he wrote of hearing the song:
A girl had stepped out to the edge
of the little platform attached to the automobile. She began to sing. Her
clothes were unbelievable dirty and ragged, and she, too, was unwashed. Her
ash-blond hair hung down in long skeins.... But, best of all, she was
beautiful, and in her untutored way, she could sing. She smiled as she sang,
smiled rather sadly, and sang only a single line of a song.
The girl, named Annie Morgan, repeated the fragment
seven times in exchange for a quarter per performance, and Niles left with
"three lines of verse, a garbled fragment of melodic material—and a
magnificent idea". Based
on this fragment, Niles composed the version of "I Wonder as I
Wander" that is known today, extending the melody to four lines and the
lyrics to three stanzas. It was originally published in Songs of the Hill Folk in 1934.
Although often sung at Christmas, the text of the
first verse is very appropriate for Lent.
I wonder as I wander out under the sky,
How Jesus the Savior did come for to die.
For poor on'ry people like you and like I...
I wonder as I wander out under the sky.
How Jesus the Savior did come for to die.
For poor on'ry people like you and like I...
I wonder as I wander out under the sky.
The
music of David Evan Thomas has been praised for its eloquence, power, and
craft. A 2013 McKnight Foundation
Fellow, he has also received awards from the American Academy of Arts and
Letters and the American Guild of Organists.
Born in 1958, Thomas received degrees from Northwestern University,
Eastman School of Music, and the University of Minnesota.
Wondrous Love – Dale Wood
What Wondrous Love Is This is sometimes described
as a "white spiritual", from the American South. Its text was first
published in 1811, during the Second Great Awakening, and its melody derived that of
from an English popular ballad. The hymn's lyrics were first published in Lynchburg, Virginia in the c. 1811 camp meeting songbook A General Selection of the Newest and Most
Admired Hymns and Spiritual Songs Now in Use. The lyrics may also
have been printed, in a slightly different form, in the 1811 book Hymns and Spiritual Songs, Original and
Selected published
in Lexington, Kentucky. In most early printings, the hymn's text was attributed
to an anonymous author, though the 1848 hymnal The Hesperian Harp attributes the text to a Methodist pastor from Oxford, Georgia named Alexander Means. Camp meeting attendees during the
Second Great Awakening would sing the hymns printed in these hymnals to a
variety of popular melodies, including "The Ballad of Captain Kidd",
which was well known at the time; this is likely how the text and melody came
to be paired. The text and
melody were first published together in The Southern Harmony, a book of shape note hymns compiled by William Walker. In 1966, the United Methodist Hymnal became the first
standard hymnal to incorporate “What
Wondrous Love Is This”.
Today it is a widely known hymn included in many hymnals.
What wondrous love is
this, O my soul, O my soul!
What wondrous love is this that caused the Lord of bliss
to bear the dreadful curse for my soul!
What wondrous love is this that caused the Lord of bliss
to bear the dreadful curse for my soul!
When I was sinking down,
sinking down, sinking down,
when I was sinking down beneath God's righteous frown,
Christ laid aside his crown for my soul!
when I was sinking down beneath God's righteous frown,
Christ laid aside his crown for my soul!
To God and to the Lamb,
I will sing, I will sing,
to God and to the Lamb who is the great I AM,
while millions join the theme, I will sing!
to God and to the Lamb who is the great I AM,
while millions join the theme, I will sing!
And when from death I’m
free, I’ll sing on, I’ll sing on;
and when from death I’m free, I’ll sing and joyful be,
and through eternity I’ll sing on.
and when from death I’m free, I’ll sing and joyful be,
and through eternity I’ll sing on.
Dale Wood (1934-2003) was a prominent
composer, organist, choral director, and clinician. He was honored many times by the American
Society of Composers, Authors, and Publishers (ASCAP) for his “very important
contribution towards the creation and development of contemporary American
church music”. He wrote many collections
of organ works, most of which are based on both old and new hymn tunes. Over eight million copies of his publications
have been purchased in over 50 countries.
Passion
– Reger
"Herzliebster
Jesu" (often translated into English as "Ah, Holy Jesus", sometimes as
"O Dearest Jesus") is
a German hymn written
in 1630 by Johann Heermann. Heerman took his inspiration for "Ah, Holy
Jesus" from a Latin text attributed to either Augustine (354-430) or Jean
de Fecamp (c.1000-1079). The poetry was originally published in a
fifteenth-century devotional book entitled Meditationes sanctorum patrum. Heerman's hymn version
first appeared in his Devoti Musica
Cordis, ca. 1630. Heerman wrote during the Thirty Years War, a time
when many hymn writers became introspective. Writing during this time of
uncertainty and trouble, Heerman's hymn emerged from a backdrop of his own
personal suffering.
Its tune, also called "Herzliebster Jesu", was
written ten years later by Johann Crüger. The hymn first
appeared in Crüger's Neues
vollkömmliches Gesangbuch Augsburgischer Confession (1640).
Ah, holy Jesus, how hast Thou offended,
That man to judge Thee hath in hate pretended?
By foes derided, by Thine own rejected,
O most afflicted.
That man to judge Thee hath in hate pretended?
By foes derided, by Thine own rejected,
O most afflicted.
The celebrated German composer Johann Baptist Joseph Maximilian Reger (1873-1916), was the
son of a school-teacher and amateur musician, who gave him instruction on the
piano organ, and various string instruments. In 1874 the family moved to
Weiden, where he studied organ and theory with Adalbert Lindner. He then
attended the teacher-training college; after visiting the Bayreuth Festival in
1888, he decided on a career in music. He went to Sondershausen to study with
Riemann in 1890, and continued as his pupil in Wiesbaden (1890-1893). From 1890 to 1896, Max Reger was active as a
teacher of piano, organ, and
theory.
Following military service, he returned to Weiden in 1898 and wrote a number of
his finest works for organ. He went to Munich in 1901, first gaining general
recognition as a pianist and later as a composer. He was professor of counterpoint at the Königliche
Akademie der Tonkünst. He went to Leipzig as music director of the University and as professor of
composition at the Conservatory.
Max Reger's fame as a composer was enhanced by his successful tours as a soloist and conductor in Germany and throughout Europe. Max Reger was an extraordinarily gifted musician, widely respected as a composer, pianist, organist, conductor and teacher. A master of polyphonic and harmonic writing, he carried on the hallowed Classical and Romantic schools of composition. Although he wrote major works in nearly every genre, he is best known for his organ compositions.
Max Reger's fame as a composer was enhanced by his successful tours as a soloist and conductor in Germany and throughout Europe. Max Reger was an extraordinarily gifted musician, widely respected as a composer, pianist, organist, conductor and teacher. A master of polyphonic and harmonic writing, he carried on the hallowed Classical and Romantic schools of composition. Although he wrote major works in nearly every genre, he is best known for his organ compositions.
Aus Tiefer Not – Max Drischner
Martin Luther
(1483-1546) is important in the history of hymnody for restoring congregational
singing in worship. In addition, Luther wrote hymns and composed hymn tunes.
Luther was one of the primary theologians of the Protestant
Reformation and established the Evangelical Lutheran
Church in Germany. Lutheranism eventually spread throughout Europe and North
America. Luther had a unique theological
perspective: Justification by Faith (salvation is a gift from God and is
available through acceptance. It is not attained through 'works.'). Luther's theological views are evident in his
hymns. Luther wrote both the text and tune of “Aus
Tiefer Not (Out of the deep)” and published it in the Achtliederbuch in
1524, one of several hymnals he published.
The text is based on Psalm 130.
Out of the deep I cry to thee; O Lord God, hear my
crying:
Incline thy gracious ear to me, With prayer to thee applying.
For if thou fix thy searching eye On all sin and iniquity,
Who, Lord, can stand before thee?
Incline thy gracious ear to me, With prayer to thee applying.
For if thou fix thy searching eye On all sin and iniquity,
Who, Lord, can stand before thee?
For this, my hope in God shall rest, Naught building on
my merit;
My heart confides, of him possest, His goodness stays my spirit.
His precious word assureth me; My solace, my sure rock is he,
Whereon my soul abideth.
My heart confides, of him possest, His goodness stays my spirit.
His precious word assureth me; My solace, my sure rock is he,
Whereon my soul abideth.
What though our sins are manifold? Supreme his mercy
reigneth;
No limit can his hand withhold, Where evil most obtaineth.
He the good Shepherd is alone, Who Israel will redeem and won,
Forgiving all transgression.
No limit can his hand withhold, Where evil most obtaineth.
He the good Shepherd is alone, Who Israel will redeem and won,
Forgiving all transgression.
Max Drischner (1891-1971) was a German composer, Kantor, organist, and harpsichordist. Drischner was born in Silesia. After completing his secondary education, he pursued
studies in theology in Leipzig and Breslau, beginning in 1910. By 1914, however, he had decided to
quit his theological studies in favor of studying music. At this time,
Drischner relocated to Berlin, and was enrolled in the Berlin University of the
Arts, where he studied harpsichord. In 1924, Drischner was named Kantor and
organist of St. Nicholas Church in Brieg.
While in Brieg, Drischer built a reputation for himself as a
choirmaster, as well, organizing and directing many successful events, and
founding a youth choir. This earned him a renown that stretched beyond Brieg.
His efforts earned him the title of Kirchenmusikdirektor ("Church
music director"), a very high honor in the Evangelical Lutheran Church.
About the Hymns:
Lord,
Whose Love Through Humble Service
Albert F. Bayly (1901-1984) was educated at London University and
Mansfield College, Oxford. Beginning
in the late 1920’s, he served at four Congregational churches in Northumberland,
Lancashire and East Yorkshire; in 1962, he became pastor in Thaxted, Essex. After retiring in 1971, he moved to Springfield,
Chelmsford, and was active in the local United Reformed Church. He wrote several pageants on mission
themes, and librettos for cantatas by W. L. Lloyd Webber (father of
Andrew).
Bayly wrote this text in response to a Hymn Society of America search for
new hymns on social welfare. It was chosen as the theme hymn for the Second
National Conference on the Churches and Social Welfare held in Cleveland, Ohio,
October 23-27, 1961. The Hymn Society published the text in Seven New Social Welfare
Hymns (1961).
The words to the song ”Jesus Paid It All” were written by Elvina Hall (1822-1889) in
1865. Elvina was a member of the Monument Street Methodist Church in Baltimore,
Maryland. The Choir Director of the same church was John Thomas Grape
(1835-1915). Unaware of Elvina's composition, Grape composed a tune he called “All To Christ I Owe”. Grape related
the story:
Our church was undergoing repairs,
and the cabinet organ was placed in my care. Thus afforded a pleasure not
before enjoyed, I delighted myself in playing over some of our Sunday
school hymns. I determined to give tangible shape to a theme that had been
running in my mind for some time. I made it a matter of prayer and study and
gave to the public the music now known as “All to Christ I Owe.” It was pronounced
very poor by my choir and friends, but my dear wife persistently declared
that it was a good piece of music and would live. Time has proved the correctness
of her judgment. Soon after, the Rev. George W. Schreck [pastor of Monument
Street] called on me to select anything new that I had to offer. On hearing
this piece he expressed his pleasure with it and stated that Mrs. Elvina
M. Hall had written some words that would just suit the music. I gave him a
copy of it and it was soon sung in several churches here in Baltimore
[Maryland] and well received. At the suggestion of friends I sent a copy
to Professor Theodore Perkins and it was published in Sabbath Carols. Under the providence of God it
has been going ever since. I trust that it has not failed to accomplish
some good to my fellow-men for the glory of God.
Are
Ye Able
Earl Bowman Marlatt (1892–1976) was an American theologian and poet. He graduated from DePauw
University and Boston
University School of Theology. In 1923, he began teaching in the Boston
University. From 1945 to 1957, he taught at Southern Methodist University's Perkins School of Theology. He wrote many hymns, one of the best known
being “Are Ye Able”. He also collected church hymns, with the
intent to establish a museum. Many of his papers are held at DePauw
University. A signed manuscript of his hymn“Are Ye Able” actually written Feb. 23, 1926, is included in the
Bridwell Library Manuscript and Documents Collection. The text is based on Matthew 20:22, “But Jesus answered and said, Ye know not what
ye ask. Are ye able to drink of the cup that I shall drink of, and to be
baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with? They say unto him, We are
able.”
Now
Let Us From This Table Rise
The author of this hymn, the Rev Fred Kaan, was
born in the Netherlands in 1929. As a young boy, his evening prayer had a three-fold
thrust: 1) that their house will not burn down, 2) that his parents will not
die early, and 3) that there will be no war.
The first two petitions were “granted” but the third one was not. Kaan
spent five years under the Nazi Occupation where he saw his father become the
leader of the resistance movement in their neighborhood and his mother a
gunrunner who sheltered a Jew and one political prisoner for two-and-a-half
years. He saw this as an added risk to their daily living. His experience of the
war marked in him a profound and deep concern over peace and justice.
After
the war, he moved to the UK and it was there that he eventually joined the
ordained ministry. During his first pastorate, a young postman, a church
member, approached him and said: “I am leaving church!” Kaan asked why, and the
postman replied “because the hymns don’t send me any longer!”
This reply struck Kaan and he thought “if the hymns we sang in church paralysed
my postman friend … then the mission of the church is seriously impaired”. This
was when Kaan started to look at hymns with a critical ear. As a minister at the Pilgrim Church in
Plymouth, England he became seriously involved in exploring new ways of worship
and service. He searched for hymns that “proclaimed the Gospel in the modern
city in a language that can be understood”. Because he found very few he began
to write hymns that spoke about justice, peace, social action and healing in
broken relationships, communities and in the world.
The
first hymn that he wrote was “Now Let Us From This Table Rise,” a
post-communion hymn. He wrote this with the following questions in mind: “What
happens after we have shared the bread and wine at the Lord’s Table? How do we
make that vital transition from worship to service, from celebration to
action?”
No comments:
Post a Comment